All registered community housing providers (CHPs) must report annually to the Community Housing Regulatory Authority (CHRA) on their operations.
Completing your annual reporting requirements for CHRA entails:
- CHRA sending you the Annual Report template tailored to your organisation.
- Documenting your performance against the prescribed Performance Standards.
- Submitting copies of your organisation's audited financial statements and accounts.
Further information on all aspects of annual monitoring and reporting can be found in the Annual Monitoring and Reporting Framework 2016/17 [PDF, 96 KB].
Annual reporting dates
Reports must be provided to CHRA each year, not more than 28 days after your organisation’s annual general meeting. CHRA can ask for additional or supplementary reports if required1.
For CHPs who do not have an annual general meeting, a default date will be confirmed by CHRA with you that aligns with you having your Annual Accounts being signed off. For further information, please contact CHRA directly as the Annual Report template is tailored to your organisation.
How to complete your annual reporting
To complete your annual reporting you will need to submit information about your organisation’s performance using the Annual Reporting Template and submit the required supporting documentation, including your annual financial statements and accounts.
Annual Reporting Template
The Template outlines five Performance Outcomes, based on our Performance Standards, as follows:
- Governance: The provider will ensure that it is well-governed at all times.
- Management: The provider is managed in a safe, efficient and effective manner at all times.
- Financial viability: The provider demonstrates financial viability and solvency at all times.
- Tenancy management: The provider is a responsive and effective landlord.
- Property and asset management: The provider manages its housing assets in a manner that ensures properties are suitable.
The reporting template provides you with the opportunity to supply supporting information on how you have met these standards. Please note, however, that only the information in bold text is mandatory.
Financial statements and accounts
The mandatory information will also include copies of your organisation’s audited financial statements and accounts.
Availability of information
Your annual reporting documentation will not be made publicly available on CHRA’s website, although aspects of it may be released on request, subject to the Official Information Act 1982 and other legal obligations CHRA has.
If the CHRA receives a request for personal or official information it holds it will consult with any affected parties as appropriate. The CHRA will determine what information should be released and withheld in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and the Official Information Act 1982.
This legislation protects personal information and other information to the extend that to do so is consistent with the public interest, such as information which is commercially sensitive.
Submitting your annual reporting
You can submit your annual report by email to CHRA@mbie.govt.nz or by mail to Level 3, 15 Stout Street, Wellington 6140 or P.O. Box 10-729, Wellington 6143. Please note that we are unable to accept any information via Dropbox.
Please check you have:
- Completed all the required sections in the Annual Report Template, and that someone acting with the full authority of your governing body (or equivalent) has signed the declaration.
- Provided all the required mandatory documentation, including your organisation’s audited financial statements and accounts.
1 Under section 176 or 178 of the Housing Restructuring and Tenancy Matters Act 1992. If it considers it necessary, CHRA may give formal directions to CHPs on the contents of their financial statements and accounts to be provided to CHRA, and we must publish those directions in the Gazette.